Capable of 28 knots the MV Addiction is the fastest vessel for getting from A to B in the Mentawai Islands, in it’s previous more boring life it was the fast ferry from Perth to Rottnest Island but now it’s a luxury wave scoring machine chartering it’s crews around the perfect breaks in the Mentawai islands and beyond. The crew are a bunch of legends, you have Tony cooking up some of the tastiest food you will find up in the Ments, cooking western better than westerners can, Indonesian cuisine, fresh seafood, sashimi and plenty more. The food is one of The MV Addiction’s strong points that most leave raving about, if you know someone who has been on board The Addiction you would already know about their food, next you have Geni the all rounded legend, on crossings he is the first mate and when at the spot he’s shooting those best waves of your life, whether he is swimming in the water, or from the dingy in the channel & no matter what it is he’s doing you can guarantee it will be with a smile.
Your skipper Dickinson is from the birthplace of surfing, a Hawaii, surfing is his life so you can be assured he will get you where the best waves are with his 15 years of experience scoring Mentawaian gold.
Price in AUD (per surfer)
- Low Season – $4,044 (8 day trip)
- Mid Season – $5,561 (12 day trip)
- Peak Season – $6,635 (12 day trip)
- (please scroll down for a more detailed breakdown)
Whole Boat in USD (10 people)
- Low Season – $37,917 (8 day trip)
- Mid Season – $55,612 (12 day trip)
- Peak Season – $66,355 (12 day trip)
- Extra People – $5,056 (max 2 extras)
2017 EARLYBIRD SPECIAL AU$100 OFF
- Three gourmet meals per day cooked up by the famous ‘Tony’
- Fruit & Snacks whenever you’re hungry
- Non-alcoholic refreshments including bottled water, hot drinks soft drinks + juices
- 24 Bintang cans per passenger per trip (extra beers available by request before you leave padang
- Transfers are included return from Padang airport
- On board entertainment systems including TV, DVD video and stereo
- Use of fishing and snorkling equipment on board
- Use of tender for fishing and exploratory trips ashore
- Surf guide
- Use of all MV Addiction onboard equipment and amenities.
- 15 years of experience with the waves in the area
Whats Not Included?
- Photographer Service (available every trip at US$200/person)
- Videographer Service (only with prior arrangement)
- Airline tickets
- Fuel Surcharge (if applicable)
- Other Indonesian Taxes which may be levied
- Travel Insurance (compulsory for all guests, including medivac coverage and coverage for lost charter days)
- Alcoholic Drinks other than Bintang described above. (Passengers are welcome to stock up on beer at local prices prior to departure). Indonesian customs allows the importation of only a single bottle of alcohol per person. Limited wine and spirits may be purchased on board. If requested a wine list can be forwarded for passengers wishing to purchase specific wines and spirits before departure. A minimum of 90 days notice is required for specific orders
- Tips for the crew. Tips typically start around US$50 and up. If you’ve had a really good time and the crew’s been outstanding, let them know! Please give all tips to the captain for dispersal to the crew
- Overnight hotel in Padang
The MV Addiction services all breaks within the Mentawai islands region, the further southern islands below the Mentawais and the islands further up north are serviceable at an extra fuel cost.
Spanning 24 meters long and 8 meters wide there’s plenty of space aboard The Addiction, considering it was a people moving jet cat ferry and today it only aims to accommodate twelve, so you can probably imagine there is a ton of space leftover which the boys have used to their advantage by creating some great living spaces including a sky lounge overlooking the waves from above, then downstairs you have a large living room equip with it’s own massage chair, dining table, open plan kitchen, flat screen TV, surround sound system and all the DVD’s, books and music you would ever need on your well deserved time out from the grind.
For sleeping the MV Addiction houses five guest cabins each with a double bed and a bunk with comfortable spring beds, unlike most of the other boats, there aren’t any sleeping quarters in the hulls of The MV Addiction, they are set up as watertight bulk head compartments for maximum protection in the unlikely event of a hull breach. The engine rooms are fitted with air cut off switches and a CO2 fire suppression system. The safety of the passengers and crew are all the more important to The Addiction because of the remote areas in which they operate so if your looking for a super safe super luxury vessel without the super luxury price tag, The MV Addiction could be for you.
The food on the addiction is nothing short of five star. Tony your on board chef cooks up everything from Steak to Nasi Goreng to Sashimi to Chicken Cordon Bler, Burgers, Pizza, Salad, Fruit Platters, Burrito’s, Salt & pepper squid, the list is too long to be able to fit it all in here but Tony is a top knotch chef. It’s the best food we have tasted in the Mentawais if not the whole of Indonesia, it’s a big call but it’s warranted, Tony is the man!
USD $4200 pp (12 Nights)
19 Mar – 31 Mar 2017
USD $4400 pp (12 Nights)
1st Apr – 13 Apr 2017
USD $4600 pp (12 Nights)
15 Apr – 22 Apr 2017
29 Apr – 11 May 2017
USD $4950 pp (12 Nights)
13 May – 25 May 2017
USD $5250 pp (12 Nights)
03 Jun – 15 Jun 2017
17 Jun – 29th Jun 2017
01 Jul – 13 Jul 2017
15 Jul – 27 Jul 2017
29 Jul – 10 Aug 2017
12 Aug – 24 Aug 2017
02 Sep – 14 Sep 2017
16 Sep – 28 Sep 2017
USD $4995 pp (12 Nights)
30 Sep – 12 Oct 2017
14 Oct – 26 Nov 2017
USD $4800 pp (12 Nights)
28 Oct – 09 Nov 2017
USD $4400 pp (12 Nights)
13 Nov – 12 Nov 2017
USD $4200 pp (12 Nights)
28th Nov – 10 Dec 2017
A member of the Addiction team will meet you at the International Airport in Padang, West Sumatera (airport code: PDG).
Passengers should arrive on the first day (preferably late afternoon/evening) of their scheduled charter dates (for example, if your trip is April 11-24, you should arrive on the 11th). Addiction will leave port late on the first day of your trip and steam to be at the first surf break first thing next day.
There is accommodation in Padang however we recommend overnight stays be done in Singapore, KL, Bali, Jakarta etc and arrive in Padang on the first day of your charter.
When you arrive in Indonesia you get a 30 day Visa that is purchased at the airport before you clear Immigration and Customs. The cost is $US35 (only payable in new US currency).
Remember to keep your luggage tickets as these must be shown to exit the terminal building
Indoneasian customs allows the importation of a single bottle of alcohol per person.
Mobile/cell phones have service in Padang and in some areas of the Mentawais. Addiction has a satellite phone and fax service available for a fee if required.
At the end of your trip Addiction will return overnight and arrive in Padang for early morning of the last day of the charter. We would recommend booking the early flight out of Padang on your return journey.
Ground transportation will be provided to Padang airport.
Passengers must pay an Indonesian exit tax at the airport upon departure- currently Rp100,000 per person (approx $US10).
Earthquake and Tsunamis
Sumatra and the Mentawai Islands are situated within one of the most active seismic areas on earth. Being in deep water at sea is probably the safest place to be in the event of an earthquake/tsunami.
THE MV Addiction has set procedures and our crew are trained for the unlikely event of a tsunami. Our captain Dickinson Antal has over 15 years combined experience operating in Indonesia.
What to Bring
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months beyond intended stay in Indonesia) .
- A copy of passport , airline ticket or details of booking confirmation.
- US cash for visa payment if not already obtained
- Indonesian Rupiah for porters, crew tips, departure tax and souvenir purchases from local villagers
- Travel insurance documents
- Health and Medical history such as allergies and vaccination certificates
- Copy of your itinerary
- Small Torch or head torch
- 2 garbage bags or waterproof bags for wet clothes
- Camera with spare memory cards and battery chargers
- Ipod or MP3 player
- Power adaptor. Note: Addiction has 240V power supply through 2 round pin Indonesian power sockets.
- General adapters are on board for Australian, European and American fittings.
- A few pairs of board shorts
- Surf shirt – preferably with hood
- Surf hat
- Surf booties
- Hat and sunglassess
- T – shirts
- Spray jacket (optional)
- Sandshoes/ thongs/sandals
- Light cotton long pants and long sleeve shirt for maximum mosquito protection if you intend to go ashore.
- Spare leg ropes
- Warm water wax
- Protective Helmet (optional)
- Light wet suit for reef protection (optional)
Fishing and Snorkelling Gear
- Fishing and snorkelling equipment is available free of charge on Addiction.
- Passengers are welcome to bring their own additional equipment
- Any medication you may need or that your doctor recommends for travelling to Indonesia
- A personal travellers first-aid kit
- Sea sick tablets
- TeaTree Oil/Betadine or similar for treatment of cuts and abrasions
- Ear drops if you suffer from tropical ear
Malaria is present in Sumatra and the Mentawai Islands. Being on a boat away from mosquitoes and persons who may have contracted malaria does minimise the chance of infection. The majority of our passengers do not take malaria prophylactic drugs. Those who do generally take doxycycline or malarone.
If you are concerned contact your doctor to discuss the options of taking malaria prophylactics.
It is mandatory for all passengers to be fully covered for Medivac insurance. Padang has limited medical facilities and severely injured passengers are not permitted on commercial aircraft for liability reasons. We strongly recommend your travel insurance also includes all accompanying baggage and trip cancellation and disruption. Travel insurance is relatively cheap and is readily available
Australia 1800 010 078
ACE Insurance Limited
Australia 1800 628 020
Jakarta: +62 21 25505 55555 Singapore: +65 68 364 100
Photo and Video Service:
MV Addiction has a dedicated full time photographer on board to record you on the best waves of your life. Fee for those who want it is US$200 per person. You should include this in your trip costs as we find that EVERYBODY wants it – payment can be included in your balance remittal or by cash on your arrival.
If you are happy with your trip please tip the crew. Tips usually start at $US50 per passenger.
Terms and Conditions
- For a group booking there is a maximum of 10 surfers (there is an additional cost for extra people). Groups are responsible for their own group numbers and there is no discount for bringing fewer than 10 people. (Select trips are open for individual surfers.)
- Charter reservation is not confirmed until $AU8,000 group deposit or $AU1,000 individual deposit is received by TRVL surf.
- Final balance is due 90 days before sailing
- No refunds of deposits or payments unless boat does not sail. In the case of cancellation payments may be refunded at the discretion of TRVL surf if a replacement booking is obtained.
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance with Trip Cost Protection is highly recommended.
- Travel insurance with inclusion for Medivac is mandatory; details of Policy- Insurance Company and contact details to be forward to TRVL surf 30 days before departure.
- A current passport with 6 months validity from date of entry to Indonesia required.
- Absolutely no drugs of any kind tolerated. Foreigners caught with drugs may face capital punishment or life imprisonment.
- A completed Personal Trip Form is to be forwarded to TRVL surf Surfing 30 days before departure. Put a link in here.